Fitness and Wellness

Welcome to the blog made specially for YOU!

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Saturday On The Road...

Let's take it outside!
Many years ago, say 30-ish my absolutely amazing track and field coach said, "Jonathan you need to add hills to your workouts."

"What?" I protested. "I run hills all of the time!"

She tilted her head to the side, put her hands on her hips and said, "Jonathan, I'm talking steeper hills and way more of them."

Being 19-ish and knowing everything I considered telling her that I knew what I was doing. But I
stopped myself because up to that point she had never ever been wrong. I was a 400 meter runner at the time. So, I said 'fine' and did what she told me to do. As you may have guessed my 400m times started dropping like boulders from a plane. I was cleaning up at track meets.

I even got to the point that I'd finish a race and barely be puffing. When I told her this and thanked her for the 'hill sprint'' advice she told me that if I wasn't tired at the end of my races then I wasn't moving fast enough. Once again she was right. We changed up a few other things at that point and my times continued to dive.

Her name was Margaret Kalaski and to this day she is without question in my top 5 most influential people in my life. In addition to this she introduced core work to our team circa 1983 before the core was referred to as such. She was a pioneer on many levels.

Simple tools today!
So today I decided to head to the hill (1 block in length) and get back to it.


The Workout:

Hill Sprints:

Objective: run to the top as fast as my rock n roll legs will take me then jog back to the bottom. Simple!

Sets: 12X

Time: 19 minutes 38 seconds. No breaks!

Music: KXM

**KXM will get you up any hill faster than you can say F-F-For Pete's sake am I fast!
Debut album!

No comments:

Post a Comment